Education Requirements for the Family and Human Development Worker

The emphasis of the Family and Human Development Worker is to ensure that children have access to healthy environments to grow up in from pre-natal care, until adulthood. This is a very special human service that requires a complex understanding of multiple disciplines from childhood development, to parenting, psychology and Social Work.

In order to fulfill this role the Family and Human Development Worker will need to have a top shelf educational background. This will require that you begin by earning your Bachelor’s degree in a Social or Behavioral Science. You will probably want to earn a minor in a related supplemental Social Science or a foreign language in order to increase your employability and breadth of populations you can work with successfully. Some degrees that meet this requirement are:

  • Child Development
  • Child Psychology
  • Psychology
  • Human Development
  • Social Work
  • Sociology
  • Cultural Anthropology

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

In order to maximize your chances of successfully being hired in a position in a Human Services agency as a Family and Human Development Worker you will want to strongly consider staying in school until you earn your Master’s or even Doctoral degree. This will also allow you to be qualified to immediately move into a leadership position in the agency if that is your goal. As always you will increase your ability to find work, the variety of positions you can hold and also your earning potential by earning a more advanced degree.