Human Services Education in Delaware
While geographically our second smallest state, Delaware is very densely populated and is just as much in need of educated Human Services workers as other states. From its school system, to government agencies, non-profits and hospitals Delaware has a variety of Human Services needs it has to fill. There are few careers that give back more to their communities than one in Human Services. Delaware is in need of Human Services workers throughout its many communities.
In life there are few decisions with as far reaching consequences as choosing your career. In today’s highly competitive job market an advanced education is critical in meeting your career goals. Here at Humanservicesedu.org, we are dedicated to bringing together a diverse amount of information and creating a valuable resource that can help you understand your career options in the Human Services field.
- Begin or Continue a Degree in Human Services - Request Complimentary Program Information
- * Purdue University Global - Online Master of Science in Human Services
- * Southern New Hampshire University - BA in Human Services and Social Science Programs
- * Contact Capella University about the Masters or Doctoral Degree in Human Services. If you don't have a Bachelors Degree a BS in Psychology is available. Request Information Here.
- * Rasmussen College offers Online Human Services Associate's and Bachelor's Programs. Request Information Here.
After you have completed your studies and been awarded your Bachelor degree from a Delaware university or college Human Services program, you can choose from one of following positions in Delaware:
- Case Management Aide and Rehabilitation Case Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- Both of these jobs will find that the Department of Health and Social Services is an excellent resource for researching possible careers. It is also one of their most likely employers:
- Juvenile Court Liaison and Probation Officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
- In most cases, professionals working in these career clusters will be working for some aspect of the justice system and may find the Department of Corrections to be a potential employer and excellent resource for more information on a Criminal Justice related career click here
- Delaware Substance Abuse Counselor (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work or Psychology)
- Here is a link to the Delaware regulations around being a chemical dependency counselor:
- Rehabilitation case worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- Community Outreach Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- Behavioral management aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- This position tends to fall within the school system and so the Department of Education is a likely employer and an excellent resource for those wishing to help children manage their behaviors in a school setting. Here is a link to the Department of Education
- Probation officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
After you have graduated with a Master’s degree from a Delaware college or university Human Services program, you will be eligible to begin a career in one of the following positions. These positions are in addition to those listed above (depending on licensing requirements):
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
- Click here for more information on licensure in Delaware
- Marriage and Family Therapist (Master’s in Counseling, Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy)
- Social and community service manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
- Here is a relevant job listing with the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services which might be helpful in learning more about this position:
- Child welfare case manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
If you wish to take your education as far as it can go and earn a Doctorate in a Human Services field, you will open up many incredible opportunities for yourself. Whether you want to open your own private mental health practice, go directly into management or teach in academia, a Ph.D. can give you the training you need to create the career of your choice. One of the key differences between a Doctorate and other levels of education is your expert status in your field. With a Ph.D. you can train new generations of Psychologists, Sociologists, Social Workers or Marriage and Family Therapists depending on your specialty. For some, a career in Academia is a very appealing prospect and one worth pursuing.
Your first step towards meeting your educational goals is zeroing in on the career arc that fits your skills, talents and ambition. By browsing our database of career overviews you can get a better sense of not only what a job entails, but also the educational and licensure requirements. With these in mind you can make an informed decision and begin to apply to the accredited schools in Delaware or online that best fits your educational needs. It is important to realize that most schools require that students apply months in advance of beginning a program. To find out your school’s particular application process it is wise to contact your school’s registrar. You should keep in mind that if you are interested in attaining advanced licensure, you will also need to plan for post-graduate field or clinical experience. We wish you success in meeting your academic goals.