Social Work Licensure in Delaware
Delaware is a beautiful state with a rich and varied history. From its founding by Dutch colonists in 1631 to its status as one of the original 13 colonies, Delaware has been a part of the US since the very beginning. Home to the beautiful Delaware Bay and Delaware River, there is tremendous natural beauty to the state in addition to its rich history. Starting a career as a Licensed Social Worker in Delaware is a great choice. It is important to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Delaware:
Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree – AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!
- Featured CSWE Accredited Social Work Programs | Explore MSW Education Options
- * Arizona State University - BA in Psychology - Masters in Social Work (MSW) - Addiction and Substance Use Related Disorder Certificate
- * University of Denver's top-20 school of Social Work - Master of Social Work. No GRE required.
- * Fordham University - Master of Social Work Online. Traditional and advanced standing programs available.
- * USC University of Southern California – School of Social Work - Top-Ranked Master of Social Work Online.
- * Case Western Reserve University - Earn your master’s in social work online at CWRU in as little as two and a half years. Bachelor’s degree required.
- * Baylor University - Master of Social Work online program. No GRE required.
- * Simmons School of Social Work - Master of Social Work Online. Offers full-time, part-time, accelerated, and advanced standing tracks.
- * NYU Steinhardt - Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness. Complete in 21 months.
- * Capella University - Online Master of Social Work
- * Our Lady of the Lake University - Online Master of Social Work
You can apply for reciprocity if you have already passed the national ASWB licensing exam and hold a current clinical social work license in another state, U.S. territory or the District of Columbia.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Delaware, you must first get a Master in Social (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited university or college.
- Before applying for your Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) you must also provide verification of a minimum of two years (3,200 hours) of supervised work experience in the practice of clinical social work supervised by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). Of the 3200 hours, 1600 hours must be under professional supervision acceptable to the board the supervisor(s) must be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Master of Social Work (MSW), licensed psychologist, or a licensed psychiatrist.
- Pay the $163 fee and apply for your license with the Delaware board of Clinical Social Work Examiners
- Pass the FBI criminal background check which you can apply for here.
- Once you have applied for your license need to pay the $260 fee and receive a passing score on the Clinical Level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam
- To renew your license you will be required to submit proof of continuing education. All persons renewing their license must complete 45 hours of continuing education during each two year period where they hold a license. At least 3 of the 45 hours must consist of courses that are in the area of ethics for mental health professionals as approved by the Board. No more than 10 hours may be self-directed education.