Human Services Education in Connecticut

As the 4th most densely populated state in the US, Connecticut is very small, but has lots of employment opportunity for the well-educated Human Service worker. With its many hospitals, schools and government agencies Connecticut has a variety of Human Services employment opportunities. You have many options to choose from. You may decide you want to become a School Social Worker, or open a private practice as a Psychologist. There are many niches of Human Services that Connecticut needs to fill.

Choosing your career path is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. As such, it is a decision that requires a lot of research and understanding so you can make an informed decision. We have compiled a database of Human Services career overviews including salary ranges, educational requirements and state-by-state licensure requirements. You have at your fingertips a valuable resource for navigating your way through your educational and career options.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

Sponsored Content

Once you have earned your Bachelor’s degree from a Connecticut university or college Human Services program, you will be able to apply for work in the following positions in Connecticut:

  • Case Management Aide and Rehabilitation Case Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • Both of these careers will find the majority of their employment opportunities through the Department of Human Services here.
  • Juvenile Court Liaison and Probation Officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
    • Both of these careers involve working with people involved with the justice system either convicted of felonies or minors who are being processed through the system. A likely employer and excellent resource for both positions is the Department of Corrections here.
  • Connecticut Substance Abuse Counselor (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work or Psychology)
  • You can learn more about licensure requirements for Substance Abuse Counselors in Connecticut here:
  • Rehabilitation Case Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
  • Community Outreach Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • This career involves working with local community members to gain feedback and insight from the community about matters such as products, local ordinances and laws or proposed actions. Usually they are employed by corporations, non-profits or government agencies such as HUD.
  • Behavioral Management Aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • This career involves working with children in schools in most cases so seeking employment in one of Connecticut’s 150+ school districts is a great idea. A good resource is the Connecticut Department of Education
  • Probation Officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)

After you have graduated with a Master’s degree from a Connecticut college or university Human Services program, you will be eligible to begin a career in one of the following positions. These positions are in addition to those listed above (depending on licensing requirements):

  • Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
    • Click here to learn about Social Work Licensure in Connecticut:
  • Marriage and Family Therapist (Master’s in Counseling, Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy)
  • Social and community service manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
  • Child welfare case manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)

Some people feel the call to complete their education by earning a Ph.D. Having your doctorate in a Human Services field opens up a whole world of possibilities for you. In addition to all the positions listed above there are many more available once you have your Doctorate. From entering directly into a management position in a Human Services agency to starting your own private independent mental health practice your career choices are many and varied. You can also decide to move into an academic career and train a new generation of Human Services professionals at one of Connecticut’s many universities and colleges. Once you have earned your Ph.D. you will have the maximum number of career options within your field, from research to management.

By using the wonderful resources available here at, you should be able to get a good grasp at what potential careers are out there and what you need to pursue in your education to meet your career goals. Once you have zeroed in on your career and its educational requirements, you can browse our database of online and Connecticut schools to find one with an accredited program that meets your needs. Planning in advance is really important as many schools want you to apply months in advance of beginning your program. You may also wish to call your school’s registrar directly to learn about your school’s unique application process. Remember, you will also need to plan for post-graduate clinical or field experience if you want to have one of the advanced Human Services licenses. We wish you the utmost success in your educational and career journey.