Social Work Licensure in Connecticut
With origins dating back to 1633, the great state of Connecticut has a rich and varied history. As one of the original 13 colonies Connecticut figured prominently in early American history. In addition to its amazing historical significance, Connecticut also boasting some of the most beautiful Atlantic beaches of any state. Connecticut is a great state to start your career as a Licensed Social Worker. It is important to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Connecticut:
Once you have met the requirements and applied for your exam, you may take the exam at any time within a one year time frame.
Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree – AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!
Master Level Social worker (MLSW)
- You must get a Master of Social Work (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited university or college.
- Pay the $220 fee and apply with the state of Connecticut at their online application website here.
- Apply for, pay the fee of $230 and Pass the Master level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Connecticut, you must first get a Master of Social Work (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited university or college.
- Before applying for your Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) you must also provide verification of a minimum of two years (3,000 hours) of supervised work experience in the practice of clinical social work supervised by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). Of the 3000 hours, 100 hours of the work experience must be under professional supervision by a licensed clinical or certified independent social worker.
- Apply with the state of Connecticut at their online application website here.
- Once you have applied for your license need to pay the $260 fee and receive a passing score on the Clinical level Association of Social Work Boards ASWB exam which you can sign up for here.
- To renew your license you will be required to submit proof of continuing education. All social workers have to provide verification of at least 15 hours of continuing education during their license year “registration period” when applying for renewal. The continuing education must qualify for the Board’s standards. No more than six hours may be self-directed or online study. Up to five hours may come from a presentation, paper, essay or formal lecture on social work to a group of fellow social work professionals recognized by the Board. You can find out more about continuing education requirements for the state of Connecticut by visiting here.