Human Services Education in Ohio

With three great urban areas of Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati, Ohio has plenty of regions that are in need of well-trained human services workers. Whether you work in a hospital in Cleveland as child life specialist, or in Columbus as a professor of social work there are many opportunities for human services workers to give back to their community. You can find employment at the many hospitals, universities, private practices, non-profits and government agencies that need human services workers.

Deciding on your career is one of the most important decisions of your life. In order to make the best decision possible, you will want to research your career options carefully. We have created a resource here at humanservicesedu.org that can make this task much easier. We have compiled a database of careers that will help you make this decision. In the database you will find information on the basic functions of the job, its impact on society and the individual. You will also find more practical information such as salary ranges and educational requirements. Below you will find a sampling of some of the jobs available in Ohio sorted based on education.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

Sponsored Content

After you have completed your studies and have earned your Bachelor’s degree from a Ohio university or college human services program, you will be able to apply for work in the following positions:

  • Social Work Assistant (Associates or Bachelor of Social Work from a CSWE accredited program)
    • Each state has its own protocols around Social Work Licensure. Read our detailed breakdown of Ohio’s laws here:
  • Gerontology Specialist (Bachelor of Science; Gerontology)
    • One great way to give back to your community and take advantage of the huge demographic shift we are undergoing as a nation is to become a Gerontology Specialist helping the elderly connect with services, stay connected with friends and family and navigate the emotional challenges of aging. For more information on this sector check out the Ohio Department of Aging here.
  • Case Management Aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
  • This job is an excellent way to get involved in the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services as part of the Case Worker job cluster. For more information on this and other related Human Service careers here is the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services website:
  • Juvenile Court Liaison and Probation Officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
    • You can learn about both of these careers as well as many others in Criminal Justice here at the State Department of Rehabilitation and Correction website:
  • Behavioral management aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
  • Probation officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
  • Licensed Social Worker (Bachelor of Social Work from a CSWE accredited program)
  • Each level of licensure has its own specific legal requirements which you can learn about here:
  • Ohio Substance Abuse Counselor (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work or Psychology)
    • Laws for Substance Abuse Counselor certification in Ohio can be found here
  • Child Life Specialist (Bachelor of Science; Child Life Specialist)
  • There are many agencies that hire Child Life Specialists such as the Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital:
  • Rehabilitation Case Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
  • Community outreach worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)

If you feel the call to work until you graduate with a Master’s degree from a Ohio college or university Human Services program, you will have eligibility for some of the following positions:

  • Licensed Independent Social Worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
  • Social and Community Service Manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
  • Child Welfare Case Manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
  • Marriage and Family Therapist (Master’s in Counseling, Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy)
  • School Social Worker (Master of Social Work)

If you wish to reach the peak of knowledge in your field, you will want to continue in school until you have earned your doctorate. Once you have your Ph.D., many career options will open up that were unavailable previously. For example, you might wish to open up a private mental health practice as a psychologist; in many states they require a doctorate to earn the highest level of licensure. A doctorate is also useful if you wish to work in management whether in a government agency or a non-profit or elsewhere in the field. You can also train new generations of marriage and family therapists at a local college in Cleveland. The world is your oyster when you have your Ph.D. The road is long and challenging, but the rewards for your hard work are many and varied.

When it comes to planning your education you will want to know what your end goal is before you make your decision on what school to attend. To help you determine a career that resonates with you, we have provided a database of job overviews that will give you detailed information on a variety of the most common jobs in human services. You will find info on salary ranges, job descriptions, educational requirements, and the job’s impact on society. After perusing the careers section you will be able to find a job that closely matches your talents and interest. After you have determined what your educational requirements are, you can take a look at our section on schools. Within it you will be able to find a school online or located in Ohio that has an accredited program to meet your educational needs. If you wish to have a career that involves advanced licensure you will need to also plan out your post-graduate employment to make sure you find a job that earns you the field experience required by the license you wish to attain.