Human Services Education in Louisiana
Whether you are working in New Orleans as a family services worker through the State of Louisiana, or working as a licensed marriage and family therapist, there are many human services careers for a well-educated human services worker. There are a wide variety of ways to help your fellow citizens of Louisiana as a human services worker. From the Louisiana school system, to hospitals, to non-profit opportunities and government agencies, there are many organizations that need skilled, educated and talented workers to fulfill functions that help Louisiana as a state.
One of the most challenging and difficult decisions to make in your life will be what you want to do for your livelihood. It is important to balance your economic needs along with your inborn strengths and talents. Here at Humanservicesedu.org we have worked to create a resource that will help to make this decision much easier. If you scan our career overview section you will find information on a variety of human services jobs, their salary ranges, educational and licensure requirements. Below you will find a sampling of some of the many careers available in human services and the relevant educational requirements.
Once you have completed your schooling and been awarded your Bachelor’s degree from a Louisiana university or college human services program, you will be able to apply for one of following careers in Louisiana:
- Registered Social Worker (Bachelor of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school)
- Child Life Specialist (Bachelor of Science, Child Life Specialist)
- Gerontology Specialist (Bachelor of Science, Gerontology)
- Louisiana Substance Abuse Counselor (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work or Psychology)
- Most states require that Substance Abuse Counselors hold a license or certification. Here is the state board website as a resource:
- Behavioral Management aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- You will find that your work with children will most likely be facilitated by working at one of Louisiana’s 87+ school districts through the Louisiana Department of Education:
- Probation Officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
- In this career you will be helping convicts meet their legal responsibilities after being released from incarceration. Here is a recent posting with the Louisiana Department of Corrections:
- Rehabilitation Case Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- Here is an excellent resource and potential employer of those interested in Rehabilitation Case Work:
- Community Outreach Worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- Often organizations have need of workers who conduct field research and create dialogues with community members on various subjects. You might be surprised by some of the potential employers for this career, for example Tulane University recently posted this job listing for a job that focuses on Community Outreach, here:
- Case Management Aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
- In this cluster of jobs, the worker’s primary responsibility will be in the assistance of Case Workers and Eligibility Workers so that their job is easier and their tasks are completely efficiently. This job tends to be an entry level position that can promote quickly into Case or Eligibility Work when initiative is shown. You will almost certainly be employed by the Department of Children and Family Services also an excellent resource for those interested in this career.
- Juvenile Court Liaison (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology or Criminal Justice)
- This Career Focuses on helping youth who have entered into the Justice System to understand their rights and responsibilities. Here is a recent Job listing for the State of Louisiana:
If you decide that you want to continue your schooling and earn a Master’s degree from a Louisiana college or university, you will be able to choose a career from the following list:
- Social and Community Service Manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
- Child Welfare Case Manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
- Licensed Master Social Worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited)
- Marriage and Family Therapist (Master’s in Counseling, Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy)
If a career in clinical research or academia sounds appealing to you, then consider educating yourself until you have earned your doctorate. Having a Ph.D. opens many doors including research, teaching, private practice counseling and positions in management jobs at a human services agency. Also, some of the advanced licensure requirements for mental health professions require a Ph.D. to start your own private practice. If you want to maximize earning potential and greatly increase your career options, then getting a doctorate in your discipline is a wise choice and worth the considerable effort involved.
The first step on your academic journey is to choose a career path that plays to your strengths and natural talents. By browsing our section on career overviews you can learn what duties different jobs will require and also what salary ranges jobs typically pay. Once you have found a job that sounds appealing, you can see what the educational requirements are, as we also include educational and licensure requirements for the various positions we cover. Now that you know what your educational requirements are, you can browse our database of schools located both online and in Louisiana, to find an accredited school that meets your needs. When you know what school and program are right for you, it is a good idea to contact your school and learn about the specific application requirements for the program you are interested in. Something else you will want to keep in mind if you are interested in advanced licensure is post-graduate employment, as many of the advanced licenses require considerable post-graduate field experience.