Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Delaware

Delaware has a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor through a 3rd party state certification system and a state supported licensed level. The two titles are: the Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) and the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC). The LADC level requires a Master’s degree in a Behavioral Science with credits in Counseling or a closely related subject.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.


Request Information from Accredited Addiction Counseling Education Programs. Or, Use the Green Button to Exact Match a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral Program

* Contact Cappella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psycholoy, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here

* Northwestern University. Learn About the CACREP-accredited Online Master of Arts in Counseling . A Standard Program and Bridge to Counseling Program are both available.  Neither require prior counseling experience or GRE scores for admission. Request Information Here.

* NYU New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to work with clients to create lives of health and meaning. Request Information Here

For the CADC Level

  • You must pass a criminal background check.
  • You must be currently employed at an ADC agency.
  • If you do not have a degree you will need 6000 hours of supervised A&D work experience to be certified.
  • If you have an Associate’s degree you will need 5000 hours of experience.
  • A Bachelor’s degree requires 4000 hours.
  • A Master’s degree requires only 2000 hours.
  • At least 51% of all supervised work experience must be providing direct addiction counseling services to clients.
  • All experience must be in the eight ADC domains which are: Clinical Evaluation, Treatment Planning, Referral, Service Coordination, Counseling, Client, Family and Community Education, Documentation and Professional and Ethical Responsibilities.
  • You are required to show proof of 300 hours of direct supervision including 10 hours in each of the eight ADC domains.
  • You need 270 hours of education in the eight ADC domains with at least six in professional ethics and responsibilities.
  • Education can be in the form of a degree program at an accredited university or in-services, college credit courses, workshops and seminars.
  • Three college credits can be converted into 45 hours of education.
  • You must pass the IC&RC examination for A&D counselors.
  • You can find the application here.

For the LADC Level

The Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) is the state sanctioned title. This title requires an advanced degree.

  • You must possess a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in a Behavioral Science with at least 30 hours at the graduate level in Counseling classes or highly related field.
  • You need 3200 hours of Substance Abuse Counseling experience
  • You will need 1600 of the 3200 hours under the direct supervision of a Board approved supervisor.
  • 100 of the 1600 hours of supervision must be face-to-face consultation with a supervisor.
  • No more than 40 of the 100 hours may be in the form of group supervision.

Applying for Certification

You are now eligible to apply licensure with the Department.

  • Apply with the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation: Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals for your title and license. You can find the appropriate application form here.