Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Connecticut

Connecticut has a certified Substance Abuse Counselor and Licensed level. The two titles are: the Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) and the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC). The LADC level requires a Master’s degree in a Behavioral Science if from another state, or a combination of a degree as well as supervised experience.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

For the CADC Level

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • You are required to have 300 hours of supervised practical training in addiction counseling.
  • You will need three years of supervised work experience working directly with A&D clients.
  • You will need 360 hours of education from an approved source such as a degree from an accredited university. 240 hours of which must be related to addiction counseling.
  • Passing of the International Certification Examination for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselors as administered by the IC&RC/AODA.

For the LADC Level

  • Meeting all of the requirements for the CADC level.
  • You must possess a Master’s degree or Ph.D. from an accredited university in a Behavioral Science with a minimum of 18 semester hours at the graduate level in counseling related subjects.
  • 300 hours of supervised practical training in Alcohol and Drug Counseling.
  • Three years of supervised work experience, if you have a Master’s degree or higher this is reduced to two years of supervised work experience.
  • Pass the International Certification Examination for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselors as administered by the IC&RC/AODA.

Applying for Certification

  • You are now eligible to apply for certification or licensure with the Department.
  • Apply with the Connecticut Department of Public Health for your title. The application form for either level is found here.