Human Services Education in Oregon

The beautiful state of Oregon makes up part of the Northwest region of the US. With its many universities, hospitals, schools, non-profits and government agencies there is always a need for more human services workers in Oregon. Whether you decide to become a professor and teach Sociology in Eugene, or work as a rehabilitation case worker in Portland, there are a wide variety of human services careers available in Oregon.

Deciding your career path is one of those life choices that will continue to impact you for years afterwards. A decision of that magnitude deserves a lot of careful study and consideration. It is important to make sure that you are finding a career that matches your natural abilities and interests. We here at humanservicesedu.org, have created a resource that can make this challenging decision much easier for you. By delving into our section on career overviews, you will learn about a job’s major duties and also how it impacts your community. There is also a wealth of information about salary ranges of various careers along with their educational and licensure requirements. You will find below, a sampling of some of the careers you can pursue in Oregon organized based on the education required.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

Sponsored Content

Once you have earned your Bachelor’s degree from an Oregon university or college human services program, you will be able to apply for work in the following positions:

  • Registered Baccalaureate Social Worker (Bachelor of Social Work from a CSWE accredited program)
    • Each state has its own rules and regulations around Social Work Licensure. In the case of Oregon you can learn about its rules here:
  • Oregon Substance Abuse Counselor (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work or Psychology)
    • You can learn more about certification in Oregon here:
  • Child life specialist (Bachelor of Science; Child Life Specialist)
    • Many hospitals who are dedicated to the care of children or who have departments with this goal will employ Child Life Specialists as part of an overall strategy to make sure child patients are comfortable and well taken care of for example Doernbecher Children’s Hospital:
  • Rehabilitation case worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • This career path is one that will most likely be a career of public service through an agency such as the Department of Voc. Rehab:
  • Community outreach worker (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • There are many different organizations and agencies that need Community Outreach Workers such this Non-profit click here:
  • Gerontology specialist (Bachelor of Science; Gerontology)
  • Case management aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
  • Juvenile court liaison (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology or Criminal
    • Working within the Criminal Justice takes an excellent balance of empathy, communication and professionalism. You can learn more about these careers and many others in the sector from the Department of Corrections homepage:
  • Behavioral management aide (Bachelor of Social Work, Sociology, Psychology)
    • There are over 200 school districts in Oregon and many of them need for Behavioral Management Aides to assist children in working through their emotional and behavioral difficulties to maximize their educational experience. You can learn more about this sector from the state’s Department of Education website:
  • Probation officer (Bachelor of Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or Criminal Justice)

When you graduate with a Master’s degree from an Oregon college or university Human Services program, you will have eligibility for some of the following positions:

  • Social and community service manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
  • Child welfare case manager (Masters in Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology or Sociology)
  • Licensed master social worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school)
  • Certified social worker associate (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
  • Licensed clinical social worker (Master of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school + field experience)
  • Marriage and family therapist (Master’s in Counseling, Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy)
  • School social worker (Master of Social Work)

Some people will desire reaching the pinnacle of expertise within their field. If that sounds like you, then you will want to continue your studies until you have earned your doctorate. With a Ph.D. you will have greatly expanded career options within your specialty. You will not only have recognized expert status, you will also have a vastly increased earning power. So whether you want to teach at an Oregon university, be a leader in a non-profit you respect, or open a private practice in psychology, you will find that a Ph.D. gives you tremendous latitude in your career options. While the road to a doctorate is long and difficult, the payoff is substantial as well.

By first determining the career you someday want to hold, you will then be able to easily discern what educational route you will need to take to get there. To aid you in this very important decision, we have compiled a resource that includes career overviews. In the career overview section, you will find information on a variety of careers in the human services field. You will also learn about the job duties, responsibilities, impact of your career on your community and the salary range for each job. There is also valuable information about each career’s educational and licensure requirements. Once you have found a career that resonates with you, based on your interests and talents, you can look at our section on schools. In our schools database you will find universities, both online and located in Oregon, to find an accredited program that meets your needs. Once you have found the school that meets your needs, it is a smart idea to contact them directly to learn about their particular application process. Another thing you will want to keep in mind, if you want to attain advanced licensure, is post-graduate employment. Many of the advanced licenses require you to have field experience in addition to your degree.