Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Montana

Montana has on level of licensure for Addiction Counseling. The sole level of certification and licensure in Montana is known as the Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAC). This license is administered through the Montana Department of Labor and Industry.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

Requirements for LAC

  • Have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s in a Behavioral Science field with a clinical application. This degree must be from an accredited university.
  • You are required to have 1000 hours of supervised clinical professional experience.
  • You will need direct supervision from a Licensed Addiction Counselor.
  • 270 total clock hours of education approved by the Montana Board. All 270 hours must be specific to substance abuse treatment and include the following: 30 clock hours in Addiction Assessment, 45 hours in Addiction Counseling, 12 hours in Pharmacology, 6 hours in Alcohol and Drug Counselor Ethics, 30 hours Alcohol and Drug Studies, 15 hours Addiction Treatment, Planning and Documentation, 12 hours of Multi-cultural Competency, you will need 120 more related hours in classes of your choice.
  • Pass NAADAC Level I Exam.
  • You can find the application form here.