Social Work Licensure in Montana
Find Education Requirements in Montana for one of the following:
Known as “Big Sky Country”, Montana is home to some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the US. From Yellowstone National Park to Glacier National Park, few states can boast such a wide variety of natural beauty. Montana is also a great state to start your licensed Social Work career in. It is important to remember that there can always be updates or changes to a state’s rules and regulations. Remember, that the best way to stay informed with current regulations is the state’s website on licensure.
There is only one kind of social work license in Montana: the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree – AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!
- Featured CSWE Accredited Social Work Programs | Explore MSW Education Options
- * Arizona State University - BA in Psychology - Masters in Social Work (MSW) - Addiction and Substance Use Related Disorder Certificate
- * University of Denver's top-20 school of Social Work - Master of Social Work. No GRE required.
- * Fordham University - Master of Social Work Online. Traditional and advanced standing programs available.
- * USC University of Southern California – School of Social Work - Top-Ranked Master of Social Work Online.
- * Case Western Reserve University - Earn your master’s in social work online at CWRU in as little as two and a half years. Bachelor’s degree required.
- * Baylor University - Master of Social Work online program. No GRE required.
- * Simmons School of Social Work - Master of Social Work Online. Offers full-time, part-time, accelerated, and advanced standing tracks.
- * NYU Steinhardt - Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness. Complete in 21 months.
- * Capella University - Online Master of Social Work
- * Our Lady of the Lake University - Online Master of Social Work
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- To become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Montana, you must first get your Master of Social Work or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- To apply for your license you will need to have accumulated 3,000 hours of professional experience in a psychotherapy focused Social Work environment under the supervision of a state licensed Social Worker, Psychologist or Psychiatrist. 1,500 of these hours must be in the form of direct client contact and the hours must be completed in not less than two years.
- Once you have completed and sent in your application you may apply with the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) for their Advanced Generalist or Clinical examinations. Once you pass the test you will be eligible to receive your new title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of Montana.
- To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 20 contact hours of continuing education.