Social Work Licensure in Virginia
Find Education Requirements in Virginia for one of the following:
The great state of Virginia has a rich history. Being the first permanent New World colony of England, Virginia can lay claim to being the first English speaking part of the US. It is home to such historical sites as Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. In addition to being a wonderful place to live, Virginia is also an excellent state to begin your career as a Licensed Social Worker. It is important to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Virginia:
Virginia recognizes two kinds of licensed Social Worker: the Licensed Social Worker (LSW) and the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree – AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!
- Featured CSWE Accredited Social Work Programs | Explore MSW Education Options
- * University of Denver's top-20 school of Social Work - Master of Social Work. No GRE required.
- * Fordham University - Master of Social Work Online. Traditional and advanced standing programs available.
- * USC University of Southern California – School of Social Work - Top-Ranked Master of Social Work Online.
- * Case Western Reserve University - Earn your master’s in social work online at CWRU in as little as two and a half years. Bachelor’s degree required.
- * Baylor University - Master of Social Work online program. No GRE required.
- * Simmons School of Social Work - Master of Social Work Online. Offers full-time, part-time, accelerated, and advanced standing tracks.
- * Northwestern University - Online Master's in Counseling. CACREP accredited.
- * NYU Steinhardt - Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness. Complete in 21 months.
- * Capella University - Online Master of Social Work
- * Our Lady of the Lake University - Online Master of Social Work
Licensed Social Worker (LSW)
- If you wish to attain the title Licensed Social Worker (LSW) in Virginia, you must first get a Bachelor or Master of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- You must provide verification of at least two years of post-graduation supervised Social Work experience. This must include at least 100 hours of face-to-face supervision. If you have a Master of Social Work degree you are exempt from this field experience requirement.
- You must also pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Bachelor’s Level Exam and the Texas state Jurisprudence exam.
- To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 30 clock hours of continuing education.
- Learn about Virginia Masters Degree in Social Work (MSW)
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) in Virginia, you must first get a Master or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- You must provide verification of at least 3,000 hours of clinical Social Work experience once you have earned your degree. This experience must occur in not less than two years. Your supervisor must be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
- You then need to receive a passing grade on the Association of Social Workers ASWB Clinical Level Exam.
- If you follow the above steps you are eligible to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of Virginia.