Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in North Dakota
North Dakota only has one level of licensure for Substance Abuse Counselors. This legally protected title is known as the Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAC). You are required to have a Bachelor’s degree as well as specific training and supervised experience.
Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
- You are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Addiction Counseling or a closely related Human Services discipline with a clinical application.
- You degree must be from an accredited university and include the following components: Treatment methods and models; Interviewing process, skills, and techniques; Individual and group counseling; Assessment and diagnosis models, including current diagnostic manual of the American psychiatric association including substance-related disorders and co-occurring mental illness; Testing instruments; Intervention approaches for individuals, groups, and families; Documentation, report writing, and recordkeeping; Verbal communication skills; Counselor skill groups American society of addiction medicine patient placement criteria; Professional competence and standards; Values and societal obligations; Ethics and codes of conduct for professionals; Ethical decision making; Malpractice and liability; Legal aspects of practice; Federal and state regulations; Marriage and the family; Psychopathology; Pharmacology; Theories of personality; Dynamics of addiction; Child psychology and development; Adolescent psychology and development; Adult psychology and development; Cultural competence or cultural minorities.
- You will need to complete 1,400 hour training program of supervised clinical experience that is approved by the board.
- You must pass the IC&RC AODA Counselor Level examination.
- You can find the application to become a Licensed Addiction Counselor here.