Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in New York
There is only one level of certification in New York for substance abuse counselors. The protected title is known as a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC). New York has specific requirements including education, training, experience, exams and the signing of a Code of Ethics.
Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.
<!- mfunc search_btn ->
<!- mfunc feat_school ->
<!- /mfunc feat_school ->
George Mason University
Featured Program: George Mason’s online MPS in Applied Industrial and Organizational Psychology delivers the research-backed methods and understanding of data analytics HR and business professionals need to foster a culture of innovation — where each employee feels empowered and motivated to contribute new ideas, ignite change, and do their best work every day.
Grand Canyon University
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Have a High School Diploma or GED. A higher degree is recommended for both advancement potential in organizations and so you can substitute schooling for supervised work experience as explained below.
- You must sign the Canon of Ethical Principles.
- You will need 350 hours of training and education:
- This training must include 85 clock hours related to Knowledge of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse with at least 4 hours related to tobacco and nicotine; 150 clock hours related to Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counseling with 15 hours of Cultural Competence; 70 clock hours related to Assessment, Clinical Evaluation, Treatment Planning, Case Management and Patient, Family and Community Education; 45 clock hours related to Professional and Ethical Responsibilities with 2 hours related to Child Abuse, Mandatory reporting and 15 hours related to Ethics for Addiction Professionals.
- You are required to have 6,000 hours of supervised experience in an Alcohol and Drug Abuse counseling work environment.
- This experience must be overseen by two CSAC supervisors who will evaluate your performance.
- You must have weekly supervision by your supervisor.
- Your experience must include at least 300 hours in the 12 Core Functions, with 10 hours of direct supervision in each: Screening; Intake; Orientation; Assessment; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management; Crisis Intervention; Client Education; Referral; Reports and Record Keeping; Consultation.
- If you have an Associate’s degree in a board approved Human Services discipline from an accredited institution of higher learning you may reduce your supervised hours required by 1,000.
- If you have a Bachelor’s degree in a board approved Human Services discipline from an accredited institution of higher learning you may reduce your supervised hours required by 2,000.
- If you have a Master’s degree in a board approved Human Services discipline from an accredited institution of higher learning you may reduce your supervised hours required by 4,000.
- You may also be able to substitute some of your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree for the training elements required.
- You must pass a New York board administered CASAC exam which is available in online form only.
- You can find the application materials for the CASAC title here.