Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Mississippi

There are two levels of certification that are recognized for Substance Abuse Counselors in the state of Mississippi. The first level is a trainee level which is known as the Provisionally Certified Addictions Therapist (PCAT). The full level of certification is known as the Certified Addictions Therapist (CAT). There was previously a level known as Licensed Certified Addictions Therapist, but this has been discontinued as of 2009.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

PCAT Requirements

  • You must have a minimum of a Master’s degree in Substance Abuse Counseling or an equivalent degree from a regionally accredited program.
  • You must pass a criminal background check.
  • You must be currently employed within the Mississippi Mental Health system.
  • You must agree to abide by the DMH Code of Ethics.
  • You must complete the process of upgrading to full CAT status within two years.
  • You can find the application form here.

CAT Requirements

  • You must meet all requirements for the PCAT title above and the following:
  • You must complete two years of supervised professional experience in a Substance Abuse counseling capacity.
  • You may count up to six-months of practicum or similar graduate field experience provided it was of appropriate length and that you had a qualified supervisor.
  • A qualified supervisor is someone with a current DMH CAT certification/license.
  • Pass the DMH Addictions Therapist web-based training component.
  • You can find the application form here.