Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Kentucky

Kentucky has two primary levels of certification for Substance Abuse Counseling and a number of specialization certifications as well. The certification is known as the Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC). Below you will find the requirements for certification.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Sponsored Content

KY CADC Requirements

  • You must pass a criminal background check.
  • You need a High School diploma or GED. However, a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a Behavioral Science is helpful in that it will reduce the amount of supervised experience you need (see below).
  • You will need to accumulate 6000 hours of supervised AODA work with clients.
  • A Bachelor’s degree requires 4000 hours.
  • A Master’s degree requires only 2000 hours.
  • This experience must be working within the 12 Core Functions: Screening; Intake; Orientation; Assessment; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management; Crisis Intervention; Client Education; Referral; Reports and Record Keeping; Consultation.
  • You will need 300 hours of supervision from a qualified supervisor and this must include a minimum of 10 hours of supervision during work in each of the 12 Core Functions.
  • You must show 270 hours of education, with at least thirty hours each in the following areas: Professional Responsibility, Counseling, Case Management, Client education and Assessment.
  • You will need to pass the IC&RC/AODA Substance Abuse Exam.
  • You can find the application form here.