Social Work Licensure in Florida
Find Education Requirements in Florida the following:
Florida is an excellent choice for starting one’s career as a Licensed Social Worker.
How does one go about getting a Social Work License in the state of Florida? It is a multi-step process which includes meeting education requirements, meeting supervised work hour requirements, applying for the state exam and passing the exam. Once you have met the requirements and applied for your exam, you may take the exam at any time within a one year time frame.
Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree – AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!
Certified Master Social Worker (CMSW)
- You will first need to earn a master’s degree in social work from a university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). In addition, your degree must have a major emphasis or specialty in clinical practice and/or administration
- You will need to have completed 3 semester hours of graduate level coursework in the following content areas: (1) agency administration and supervision; (2) program planning and evaluation; (3) staff development; (4) research; (5) community organization; (6) community services; (7) social planning and (8) human services advocacy
- Prior to applying you must have completed 3 years of experience in the field of social work, 2 years of which must have been at the post-master’s level ,under the supervision of a person who meets the education and experience requirements for certification as a certified master social worker or as a clinical social worker. You will find this defined on the Florida Mental Health and Professions website under Chapter 491, F.S.
- You must also pay the $260 fee and pass the Advanced Generalist level examination of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
- You must also complete an eight-hour laws and rules course from a board approved provider.
- You will need to also complete a three hour HIV/AIDS course and two hour domestic violence course from a board approved provider within six months of licensure
- You may then pay the $205.00 application fee and apply online here. After approval you will be a CMSW in the state of Florida.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Florida, you must first get a Masters of Social Work (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited university or college.
- Learn about Florida Masters Degree in Social Work (MSW)
- Before applying for your Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) you must also provide verification of a minimum of (1,500 hours) of face-to face psychotherapy work experience in the practice of clinical social work supervised by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) within a minimum of 100 weeks of practice (just shy of two years). In addition, 100 hours of the experience must be under direct supervision of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- You will need to complete the 2 hour prevention of medical errors course and the eight hour laws and rules course. You must then provide a certificate of completion for each course to the Board office. You must also within six months of licensure complete the three hour course on HIV/AIDS and the two hour course on domestic violence.
- Once you have applied for your license need to receive a passing score on the Clinical Level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam. Once you have applied for your license, you will need to pay the $260 fee and receive a passing score on the Clinical Level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam.
- If you follow the above steps you will be eligible to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Florida.
- To renew your license you will be required to submit proof of continuing education. All social workers have to provide verification of at least 30 hours of continuing education from board-approved providers. Five of the hours will need to be in the following courses: 2 hours of medical errors and 3 hours in the ethics and boundary issues classes. For every third renewal of your license you must also complete the two hour continuing education course on domestic violence per the Board. You can find more information about continuing education requirements to become a licensed clinical social worker on the Florida state site here.
- You can also visit the Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Florida:
CSWE Accreditation in Florida
As you work on becoming a Social Worker in the State of Florida it important to check with the CSWE board of accreditation as you narrow your school choices down. The featured online programs listed this page are Accredited by the CSWE. These programs may be a great starting point to further learn about getting your MSW education. With accreditation attached to the program you study, the sky is the limit as you move forward towards a career in Social Work.