Human Service Education in Alaska
Alaska is the largest state in the US and is also the tenth wealthiest per capita. Alaska has been one of the states that has dealt with the economic downturn the best with only a 6.9% unemployment rate as of April 2012 which is almost 50% better than the national average. Alaska also has tremendous employment opportunities within the Human Services sector. Due to the long and dark winters Alaska has a tremendous need for mental health counselors of all stripes along with corporate social workers who help their business to care for its employees who work in extremely harsh conditions. Alaska also suffers from a high rate of alcohol abuse and domestic violence so opportunities to help the state exist in the form of Substance Abuse counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy.
Alaska has a high degree of economic opportunity, but it also is a state that is in need of the skills and services that the Human Services worker can provide. A career in Human Services is a great way to give back to the great state of Alaska. If you enjoy helping your community in Alaska, being a Human Services worker will give you many opportunities to give back. Whether they are helping oil rig workers deal with depression caused by working in severe climates and weather, or counseling people who are struggling with Alcohol abuse, there are many opportunities to help your fellow Alaskans heal and fully realize their potential.
There are a variety of careers you can pursue in Human Services, depending on your degree concentration. If you have gone to school and earned a Bachelor of Social work degree, you are eligible to apply to become a Licensed Baccalaureate of Social Worker, a career with tremendous opportunities to help your fellow citizens of Alaska.
- Begin or Continue a Degree in Human Services - Request Complimentary Program Information
- * Purdue University Global - Online Master of Science in Human Services
- * Southern New Hampshire University - BA in Human Services and Social Science Programs
- * Contact Capella University about the Masters or Doctoral Degree in Human Services. If you don't have a Bachelors Degree a BS in Psychology is available. Request Information Here.
- * Rasmussen College offers Online Human Services Associate's and Bachelor's Programs. Request Information Here.
If you hold a Bachelor of Social Work degree you are eligible to work in these jobs in Alaska:
- Alaska Substance Abuse Counselor (You can also hold a Bachelor of Sociology or Psychology)
- Here is a nice resource for those interested in this field
- Probation officer
- You may wish to read more on the Alaska Department of Corrections who is the main employer of both of these positions and similar ones in Criminal Justice
- Rehabilitation case worker
- Licensed Baccalaureate of Social Work
- You can learn more about licensure requirements in Alaska here
- Behavioral management aide
- Case management aide
- Community outreach worker
- Juvenile court liaison
With a Master of Social Work degree from a Board of Alaskan Social workers approved program you can become eligible to qualify for the following jobs in addition to those listed under Bachelor of Social Work (depending on experience and licensing):
- Child welfare case manager
- Marriage and family therapist
- Social and community service manager
- Licensed Master Social Worker
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
If you choose to continue your education and earn a PHD in Social Work or Psychology you will open even moredoors. You will be able to work in all of the above jobs and also be able to train future generations of Human Services Workers at one of the colleges or universities in Alaska.
The first step toward entering a human services education program in Alaska is to identify what career path you want to take. For instance whether you want to earn a a Doctorate in Social Work degree vs. Master’s in Marriage and Family Counseling. Either degree will open up many career opportunities. While you are here, consider taking advantage of the research and databases here at Humanservicesedu.org to help you make an informed choice on the career you wish to pursue and the education that will be required.
Upon finding a solid career in Human Services and learning the educational requirements you can find a college or University here in Alaska that will help you attain your career goals. You will need to contact your school’s registrar and apply with them directly.