Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in New Hampshire

New Hampshire has one level of licensure for its Substance Abuse Counselors. The title is known as the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC). The LADC level requires a Associate’s degree in a Behavioral Science with a Bachelor’s being recommended.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

For the LADC Level

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • You must have at least an Associate’s degree in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling or a highly related Behavioral Science with a clinical application such as Psychology, Social Work, Human Services or Counseling. The degree must be from a school accredited by The Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
  • You are required to have 270 credit hours in the following areas: Clinical treatment issues in chemical dependency; Medical and psychological aspects of alcohol/drug use; abuse and addiction; Counseling theories and techniques; Group counseling; Multicultural counseling; Alcohol/drug assessment, case planning and management; Professional ethics and issues; Human growth and development.
  • You will need 300 hours of supervised professional training in the 12 Core Functions, with 10 hours in each: Screening; Intake; Orientation; Assessment; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management; Crisis Intervention; Client Education; Referral; Reports and Record Keeping; Consultation.
  • If you have your Associate’s degree you will need 6,000 hours of supervised professional experience.
  • If you have a Bachelor’s degree this is reduced to 4,000 hours.
  • IC&RC international written alcohol and other drug abuse counselor examination.
  • You will need to contact the board for an application you can find the information here.