Human Services Guide
New Hampshire

Social Work Licensure in New Hampshire

New Hampshire is a picturesque New England state with a rich history and tremendous natural beauty. As one of the original 13 colonies, New Hampshire has a long and fascinating history. It also is one of the top ski destinations in the Northeast. New Hampshire is also a great state to start your licensed Social Work career in. It is important to remember that there can always be updates or changes to a state’s rules and regulations. Remember, that the best way to stay informed with current regulations is the state’s website on licensure. Here is the website for the State of New Hampshire:

There is only one kind of social work license in New Hampshire: the Clinical Social Worker (CSW).

Do you know your education options? Begin or continue a degree - AS, BS, MSW, MS, PhD, Cert. Online and campus locations. Know your degree choices!


Featured CSWE Accredited Social Work Programs | Explore MSW Education Options

* University of Denver's top-20 school of Social Work - Master of Social Work. No GRE required.

* Fordham University - Master of Social Work Online. Traditional and advanced standing programs available.

* USC University of Southern California – School of Social Work - Top-Ranked Master of Social Work Online.

* Case Western Reserve University - Earn your master’s in social work online at CWRU in as little as two and a half years. Bachelor’s degree required.

* Baylor University - Master of Social Work online program. No GRE required.

* Simmons School of Social Work - Master of Social Work Online. Offers full-time, part-time, accelerated, and advanced standing tracks.

* Northwestern University - Online Master's in Counseling. CACREP accredited.

* NYU Steinhardt - Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness. Complete in 21 months.

* Capella University - Online Master of Social Work

* Our Lady of the Lake University - Online Master of Social Work

Clinical Social Worker (CSW)

  • To become a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New Hampshire, you must first get your Master of Social Work degree or Doctorate of Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited university or college.
  • To attain your license, you will need to log 3,000 hours supervised clinical Social Work practice after you have your degree.
  • You must then receive a passing score on an Association of Social Workers ASWB Clinical Level Exam. You must also pass the State of New Hampshire Board of Mental Health Practice Essay Exam.
  • Once you pass the tests you will be eligible to receive your new title of Clinical Social Worker in the state of New Hampshire.
  • To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 40 contact hours of continuing education.