The Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW)

This level of licensure is usually a mid-level of licensure that becomes available to people once they have earned their Master of Social Work degree. Depending on the state in which this title is offered you may only be required to possess a MSW degree and pass an examination. Other states will require supervised work experience as well.

Featured Programs:
Sponsored School(s)

Education and Testing Required

You must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for the Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW) title:

  • You will need a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited institution of higher learning.
  • Pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Master’s Level Exam.
  • In some states you are required to have addition supervised work experience under a board approved supervisor. This will vary from state to state, but usually is in the few thousands of hours of supervised experience.
  • To renew your license you will be expected to complete a state specific amount of continuing education credits.