Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in New Mexico
There is only one level of licensure in New Mexico which is known as the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADAC). The requirements depend on the level of educational attainment you possess, as well as training and supervised experience.
Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.
Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
- You must sign a code of ethics developed by the New Mexico board.
- You are required to have an Associate’s degree or higher in an Addictions Counseling related discipline.
- You will need to have 276 hours of training and/or education that is composed of the following: 90 hours related to alcohol abuse, 90 hours related to drug abuse, 90 hours related to counseling and 6 hours that pertain specifically to alcohol and drug counseling ethics.
- If you hold an Associate’s degree you will need three years of experience and three thousand direct client contact hours of supervised work experience in AODA counseling with 200 hours of direct face-to-face supervision.
- If you hold a Bachelor’s degree you will need two years and two thousand direct client contact hours of supervised work experience in AODA counseling with 100 hours of direct face-to-face supervision.
- If you hold a Master’s degree you will need one year and one thousand direct client contact hours of supervised work experience in AODA counseling with 50 hours of direct face-to-face supervision.
- You must pass the NCAC Level One examination.
- You can find the application here.