About Us  |  FAQ  |  Resources
Human Services Guide
Social Work Topics

Counseling Licensure in Wyoming

Wyoming has a number of legal requirements that must be met for those who wish to gain licensure as a counselor. There are two levels of licensure, the Provisional Professional Counselor (PPC) which is the title required to complete your supervised work experience and the full licensed the Licensed Professional Counselor. You will need to meet the usual education, supervised work experience and testing benchmarks in order to become fully licensed.

You will need to fulfill the following step-by-step requirements to get your license to practice Counseling in Wyoming is as follows:

  1. Earn your Master’s degree in Counseling from an accredited program.
  2. Complete a supervised work experience component during your Master’s program.
  3. Apply to become a Provisional Professional Counselor (PPC).
  4. Complete the supervised experience portion.
  5. Apply for and take your National Counselor Examination (NCE) as administered by the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC).
  6. Apply for your Licensed Professional Counselor title.

Educational Requirements

Wyoming law requires you meet the following requirements:

  • Earn your Bachelor’s degree in Counseling or a related behavioral science such as Social Work, Human Services, Marriage and Family Therapy or Psychology.
  • Get accepted to a Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) accredited Master of Counseling program or one that is accredited by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
  • You will need to complete a supervised experience component as part of your education. This can take the form of an internship, practicum or other similar work experience program included in your graduate studies.

Apply for the Provisional Professional Counselor (PPC) Title

In order to begin accumulating supervised work experience, you will need to apply for your title.

  • Apply with the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board to become a Provisional Professional Counselor (PPC).
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • You can find the form for the provisional professional counselor:

Supervised Experience

You must complete a number of years of supervised professional experience in order to become a LPC.

  • You will need to accumulate 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience.
  • You will need to have a minimum of 100 hours of direct face-to-face supervision either individually or with no more than one other supervisee.
  • You will have up to three years to complete your supervised experience component.
  • You must send the board a supervised work experience plan before you can become licensed.
  • You supervisor will need to evaluate your performance and send their analysis to the board.

Apply for and Take Your Exam

After completing your supervised professional experience portion, you must now complete the exam portion of the requirements.

  • You must apply with the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board to take your exam.
  • You must take the National Counselor Examination (NCE) or the National Mental Health Counselors Exam (NMHCE) as administered by the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) and pass with a score acceptable to the Board.

Apply for Your License

After completing all of the above steps you are now ready to apply for your full license.

  • You must apply with the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board for your title Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).
  • You must include all the relevant materials and verifications.
  • You will need to include three professional letters of reference from Mental Health professionals who have worked with you in a clinical setting.
  • You can find the form here:

Licensed Renewal and Continuing Education

Once you have your LPC title, you will need to complete continuing education credits in order to maintain licensure.You must renew your license every two years.

  • You must complete 45 hours of continuing education every two years.
  • 3 hours must be in professional ethics.

In order to be up to date on the law, you will want to review the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board website a couple of times during each licensure period. You can find the website here:

Home  |  About Us