Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Minnesota

Minnesota is one of the few states that only have one level of licensure for Substance Abuse Counselors. The sole level of licensure is known as the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC). It requires that you meet both educational background, supervised experience as well as examination pre-requisites.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

LADC Requirements

  • You will need a Bachelor’s degree in Addiction Counseling or a highly related Behavioral Science with a clinical application.
  • 270 hours of addiction counseling education approved by the Board.
  • You must have IC&RC/AODA related courses that are composed of the 12 Core Functions: Screening; Intake;
  • Orientation; Assessment; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management; Crisis Intervention; Client Education; Referral; Reports and Record Keeping; Consultation.
  • You will be required to show proof of 880 or more hours of supervised work in AODA counseling as a practicum while you earn your degree in Drug and Alcohol counseling or a clinical Behavioral Science.

You then have a choice to become licensed by exam or experience. The next bullet point represents the examination option.

  • You must pass the comprehensive written exam or pass a written and oral exam administered by the Board.

Alternately you can take the experience model which allows you to substitute AODA experience for the comprehensive exam.

  • You will need 2000 hours of clinical supervised field experience acceptable to the board.
  • You must pass the written examination (non-comprehensive).

You can find the LADC application form by clicking here.