Human Services Guide

Substance Abuse Counseling Certification in Massachusetts

Massachusetts only has one level of certification the Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC). You will need to meet their standards for education, supervised training and pass state sanctioned examinations to get your title of Certified Substance Abuse Counselor.

Are you interested to learn about Addiction and Substance Counseling? Take the opportunity to learn about dedicated programs. Request free information to begin or continue a degree program.

Contact Capella University about the Online Master of Science in Addiction Studies. Other related programs offered are Bachelor's in Psychology, Post-Bacc Certificate in Addictive Behavior, PhD in Addiction Psychology and more. Master in Addiction Studies (CACREP Accredited) combines course work, residency, and fieldwork, dedicated to deliver skill and knowledge to counsel individuals struggling with or affected by addictions. Request Information Here.

* NYU - New York University Online Master of Arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness prepares students to become professional mental health counselors who guide clients of all backgrounds towards a healthy lifestyle. No GRE Required Request Information Here

CSAC Requirements

  • You will need a Bachelor’s degree in Addiction Counseling or a highly related Behavioral Science with a clinical application.
  • 270 hours of addiction counseling education approved by the Board.
  • You will be required to show proof of 300 or more hours of supervised work in AODA counseling in the form of a practicum or internship during your studies.
  • You will need 6000 hours of clinical supervised field experience.
  • You must pass the state sanctioned examination for Substance Abuse Counselors.

You will need to contact the Massachusetts Board of Substance Abuse Counselor Certification for your application.