Human Services Guide

Social Work Licensure in Vermont

  • Find Education Requirements in Vermont for one of the following:

Vermont has one of the most intriguing histories of any state in the union. Once part of the sovereign Republic of Vermont, it is one of the few states to have had a sovereign status prior to becoming a state. Nestled along the Canadian border in the Northeast Vermont is home to stunning natural beauty. In addition to its profound natural beauty and unique history, Vermont is also an excellent choice as the state to start your career as a Licensed Social Worker. It is a wise idea to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Vermont:

There is only one type of licensed social worker in Vermont: the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

* Earn a Master of Social Work degree online from the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. This CSWE-accredited program features live, online classes and hands-on field experiences near your community. GRE scores are not required to apply, and you can complete your degree in two years or less. Bachelor's degree required. Learn more and request information!

* SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of Social Work, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required. Request information.

* Capella University offers several programs that may fit your education needs for a career in Social Work. An MSW and DSW are offered with CSWE Candidacy. If you do not yet possess a Bachelors Degree a variety of programs including BS in Psychology are available. Request Information Here.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

  • If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Vermont, you must first get a Master or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
  • You must show verification of at least two years of supervised post-graduate experience in clinical Social Work practice. The supervision should include no more than ½ time in group supervision with groups of 8 people or less.
  • Once you have completed and sent in your application you may apply with the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) for their Clinical Level test or the Clinical Social Workers Examination of the State of California. Once you pass the test you will be eligible to receive your new title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Vermont.
  • To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 40 contact hours of continuing education.
University of Southern California