Social Work Licensure in Utah
- Find Education Requirements in Utah for one of the following:
Home to famous natural monuments such as those found in Arches National Park, Utah has tremendous natural beauty unlike anything found in the rest of the US. With such diverse features as the Great Salt Lake and the salt lake flats where world records for land speed are recorded to the home of the 2002 Winter Olympics, Utah has something for everyone. Utah is also an excellent choice as the state to start your career as a Licensed Social Worker. It is critical to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Utah:
There are three types of licensed social worker in Utah they are: the Social Service Worker (SSW), the Certified Social Worker (CSW) and the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
The following programs require a Bachelors Degree. If you are seeking a Bachelors Degree or a tailored Graduate Degree use the green button to exact match a program in social work or related education fields.
* USC: Complete the advanced standing program available to earn an MSW degree in under 1 year, GRE Not Required. Learn more about the MSW from University of Southern California Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Request Information Here!
* SocialWork@Simmons: Complete theOnline Masters of Social Work in as Little as 15 Months. GRE Not Required. Apply Today!
Social Service Worker (SSW)
- If you wish to attain the title Licensed Social Worker (LSW) in Utah, you must first get a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college. Alternately you can have a master’s degree in marriage and family therapy, professional counseling, psychology or Social work; or completion of the first year of a master’s degree in social work from a CSWE or a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field in which case you will need field experience to apply.
- If you do not have at least a Bachelor’s in Social Work, you will need 2,000 hours of supervised experience in mental health therapy along with at least three semester hours in social work practice methods, social welfare policy and human growth and development.
- You then need to receive a passing score on an Association of Social Workers ASWB Bachelor’s Level Exam.
- To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 20 contact hours of continuing education.
- Learn about The Bachelors Degree in Social Work (BSW)
Certified Social Worker (CSW)
- To become a Certified Social Worker (CSW) in Utah, you must first get your Master of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- No field experience is required to apply for this license.
- Then you will need to receive a passing score on an Association of Social Workers ASWB Master Level Exam or the Clinical Social Workers Examination of the State of California.
- There are no continuing education requirements to renew this license you simply need to pay the renewal fee.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Utah, you must first get a Master or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- You must provide verification of at least 4,000 hours of clinical professional social work and mental health therapy. This must occur over a two year period and you must have 1,000 hours of supervised practice in providing mental health therapy. No less than 100 hours must be under direct supervision.
- Once you have completed and sent in your application you may apply with the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) for their Clinical Level test or the Clinical Social Workers Examination of the State of California. Once you pass the test you will be eligible to receive your new title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Utah.
- To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 40 contact hours of continuing education.