Social Work Licensure in New York
- Find Education Requirements in New York for one of the following:
New York is known as the Empire state and with good reason as it has so much to offer. Home to arguably the most storied city in the country, New York has everything from a one of a kind metropolis on Manhattan Island, to beautiful hardwood forests in upstate New York. Also home to Niagara Falls, New York is a one of a kind state. New York is also a great place to start your licensed Social Work career in. It is critical to stay current in regards to regulations around licensure, here is the website for the State of New York:
There are two different kinds of social work licenses in New York: Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) and Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
The following programs require a Bachelors Degree. If you are seeking a Bachelors Degree or a tailored Graduate Degree use the green button to exact match a program in social work or related education fields.
* USC: Complete the advanced standing program available to earn an MSW degree in as little as 1 year, GRE Not Required. Learn more about the MSW from University of Southern California Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Request Information Here!
* SocialWork@Simmons: Complete the Online Masters of Social Work in as Little as 15 Months. GRE Not Required. Apply Today!
Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW)
- If you wish to attain the Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) in New York, you must first get a, Master or Doctorate of Social Work degree from an acceptable Social Work Graduate or Doctoral program. You must also be 21 years of age or older to apply.
- There is no field experience requirement for this position.
- You will need to pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Master’s Level Exam.
- There are no continuing education requirements for license renewal at this level.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to attain the title Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York, you must first get a Master or Doctorate of Social Work degree from an acceptable Social Work Graduate or Doctoral program. You must also be 21 years of age or older to apply.
- Three years of post-master’s experience in diagnosis, psychotherapy and assessment-based treatment plans, including 2,000 hours of direct client contact experience
- To apply you must have accrued at least three years of post-graduate experience in Social work that must include psychotherapy, diagnosis and assessment based treatment plans. You must have at least 2,000 hours of direct face-to-face client contact during your three years of experience.
- Finally, you will need to pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Clinical Level. Once you pass the test you will be eligible to receive your new title Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of New York.
There are no continuing education requirements for license renewal at this level.