Human Services Guide

Social Work Licensure in Montana

  • Find Education Requirements in Montana for one of the following:

Known as “Big Sky Country”, Montana is home to some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the US. From Yellowstone National Park to Glacier National Park, few states can boast such a wide variety of natural beauty. Montana is also a great state to start your licensed Social Work career in. It is important to remember that there can always be updates or changes to a state’s rules and regulations. Remember, that the best way to stay informed with current regulations is the state’s website on licensure. Here is the website for the State of Montana:

There is only one kind of social work license in Montana: the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

* Earn a Master of Social Work degree online from the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. This CSWE-accredited program features live, online classes and hands-on field experiences near your community. GRE scores are not required to apply, and you can complete your degree in two years or less. Bachelor's degree required. Learn more and request information!

* SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of Social Work, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required. Request information.

* Capella University offers several programs that may fit your education needs for a career in Social Work. An MSW and DSW are offered with CSWE Candidacy. If you do not yet possess a Bachelors Degree a variety of programs including BS in Psychology are available. Request Information Here.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

  • To become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Montana, you must first get your Master of Social Work or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
  • To apply for your license you will need to have accumulated 3,000 hours of professional experience in a psychotherapy focused Social Work environment under the supervision of a state licensed Social Worker, Psychologist or Psychiatrist. 1,500 of these hours must be in the form of direct client contact and the hours must be completed in not less than two years.
  • Once you have completed and sent in your application you may apply with the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) for their Advanced Generalist or Clinical examinations. Once you pass the test you will be eligible to receive your new title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of Montana.
  • To renew your license, you must have successfully completed 20 contact hours of continuing education.


University of Southern California