Social Work Licensure in Florida
- Find Education Requirements in Florida the following:
Florida is an excellent choice for starting one’s career as a Licensed Social Worker. It is important to check in with each state’s Social Work board to get accurate and up to date information on the states licensing process. Here is the website for the State of Florida:
How does one go about getting a Social Work License in the state of Florida? It is a multi-step process which includes meeting education requirements, meeting supervised work hour requirements, applying for the state exam and passing the exam. Once you have met the requirements and applied for your exam, you may take the exam at any time within a one year time frame.
The following programs require a Bachelors Degree. If you are seeking a Bachelors Degree or a tailored Graduate Degree use the green button to exact match a program in social work or related education fields.
* USC: Complete the advanced standing program available to earn an MSW degree in as little as 1 year, GRE Not Required. Learn more about the MSW from University of Southern California Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. Request Information Here!
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- If you wish to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Florida, you must first get a Masters of Social Work (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited university or college.
- Before applying for your Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) you must also provide verification of a minimum of (1,500 hours) of face-to face psychotherapy work experience in the practice of clinical social work supervised by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) within a minimum of 100 weeks of practice (just shy of two years). In addition, 100 hours of the experience must be under direct supervision of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- You must also show proof of completing the two hour prevention of medical errors course and the eight hour laws and rules course. You must then provide a certificate of completion for each course to the Board office. You must also within six months of licensure complete the three hour course on HIV/AIDS and the two hour course on domestic violence.
- Once you have applied for your license need to receive a passing score on the Clinical Level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam. If you follow the above steps you will be eligible to hold the title of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Florida.
- To renew your license you will be required to submit proof of continuing education. All social workers have to provide verification of at least 30 hours of continuing education from board-approved providers. Five of the hours will need to be in the following courses: 2 hours of medical errors and 3 hours in the ethics and boundary issues classes. For every third renewal of your license you must also complete the two hour continuing education course on domestic violence per the Board. You can find more information about continuing education requirements doh.state.fl.us: